Published 2012-06-05 @ 12:00
This is part of the One Pagers series.
How do we smooth out deployment/testing/integration/etc?
Implement all infrastructure first.
- Start with using idiomatic project structure so there is no learning curve.
- Implement your basic test suite, starting with a sanity test. Get it to pass.
- Implement deployment automation and actually deploy (blanks) several times.
- Write all your project and deployment documentation up front. If any of it takes more than a few sentences, you’ve failed.
- Test it on a newb who’s never seen your project before.
- Watch them try it out. Everytime they mess up is a failure on your part.
- Almost all of this should be made into a template so it is reused next time.
- Nothing should be much more complicated than:
% scm checkout projectname % rake newb env:test deploy
If it is, it is still too complicated and can (and should) be cleaned up.